Tuesday, March 14, 2006

CNN...You're Not Funny.....



Miss Deaf Texas struck by train, killed
Tuesday, March 14, 2006; Posted: 9:27 a.m. EST (14:27 GMT)

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The reigning Miss Deaf Texas died after being struck by a train, officials said. Tara Rose McAvoy, 18, was walking Monday near railroad tracks when she was struck by a Union Pacific train, authorities said. A witness told Austin television station KTBC the train sounded its horn right up until the accident occurred.


At first, when I was reading this article I was cracking up because I thought I was reading The Onion. When I realized that I was on CNN.com, I stopped chuckling and immediately regretted forwarding the article to my co-workers. As punishment, I have decided that I will not write or make fun of the Handi's anymore. The last thing that I need right now is bad karma.

One thing I would like to say is that maybe someone needs to invent some sort of net or like a giant soft padded baseball glove that you put on front of a train that like catches you on impact. Sort of like how a tractor has that front shovel thing. (if that makes sense) I don't know. Im not a physisisisist, so i don't know about the damage the impact of a net can have on your body, but I think I would rather have this net/web/glove type thingy automatically sweep me up and carry me for a bit then to die. Sure I will probably be in another state by the time that the train stops, but at least I will not be smashed to death still in Modesto. I'm not an engineer but I constructed a drawing above detailing the net. Notice how the deaf guy just sits in the net and is still able to drink a beer. Hmmmmmm.....

On a more positive note- You will be happy to know that The Taco Truck had a great time in Atlanta. I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by my friends Lisa, Jessica, and Mark the whole time. If it wasn't for them, I would have gone crazy and been completely bored. The best part about the trip, besides being able to hang out with my friends, was that my company paid for everything. I took $160 out of the ATM before I left and I only spent $100. ($80 on alcohol and- like a chump - $20 on a room serviced hamburger and fries) My work paid for the flight, all my meals, and the hotel room for 4 nights. Now we are talkin!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOW THAT'S THE WAY TO TRAVEL, ON SOMEONE ELSES DIME. I'M GLAD YOU HAD A GREAT TIME. STILL THINKING OF YOU.

ismateo said...

speaking of funny: did you hear the one about the deaf girl who got hit by a train? neither did she.

Anonymous said...

Yay Daniel! Glad you were able to go to GA - you guys definitely made it bearable.