Tuesday, February 21, 2006

One Proud Parent.....






I opened up my fridge yesterday searching for something to snack on until Cari came home from the grocery store and I almost had a heart attack. There was no more The Leg-eweizens chilling on the top shelf!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ran frantically to my reserve stash that I keep in a closet near the kitchen. To my utter dismay, I discovered that there was only 5 bottles left. Only 5 bottles!!!! I felt my legs starting to get weak and the hunger that I had felt a second ago, quickly vanished. I leaned up against the counter to brace myself and get my composure. For the first time in my 30 year life I felt what it feels like to be an over-protective, nervous parent . My babies were quickly leaving me. It seemed like just yesterday they were nothing but mere grain, malt, water, and yeast. After selfish thoughts raced through my brain like how I want to keep every 22 oz bottle to myself now and I shouldn't have given so many bottles away, I quickly realized that I couldn't be that way. They are beer. Everyone's bound to love them so it's inevitable that they are going to be gone someday. I have to just be proud of my creation and let them do what they have to do.

So for the record I would like to say that , not in a gay Brokeback Mountain way but more like a Paul Reiser / Greg Evigan "My Two Dads" kinda way, I am proud to be a parent of The Leg-eweizen with my brother Alex. I can't speak for Alex, but I am personally proud of this creation because before The Leg-eweizen was given life- I went through some difficult times to say the least. Months before The Leg-eweizen was created, I had a "beer abortion" where I had to get rid of a batch of homebrew before it even had the opportunity to bottle because I added way too much priming sugar. I went a whole month where I kept blaming myself for being irresponsible and careless. But after being encouraged by other homebrewers that those kind of mistakes happened, I told myself What the hell? and gave it another shot. And Im glad I did. Although splitting custody of the beer 50/50 with Alex was very difficult to do, I have cherished every ounce of The Leg-eweizen that I have been able to drink.

The Leg-eweizen is the best batch of beer that I have ever created and I want everyone to know!!! I'll miss you guys!!!!

No comments: